Tuesday, September 10, 2013

5 New Runner Tips

I am a fairly new runner and there are a few things I wish I had known at the start that would have helped me out. My pain is your gain. :)

#1 Running shoes are NOT created equally
Anytime one of my friends starts running the first thing I tell them to do it to go to a running shoe store and get properly fitted. I am not talking about a Foot Locker or equivalent, go to a store that specializes in running. Your body will thank you for it! Many of these stores do more than just measure your feet. They analyze your foot and even have you get on a treadmill to analyze your stride. Yes, real running shoes cost more money, but trust me you will spend a whole lot more on shoes and possibly injury related expenses down the road if you don't make the right shoe choice.

#2 Set a goal
My biggest motivator is having a goal! Time, distance, total mileage, you pick, just make sure you set one and when you surpass that goal set a new one! I started running because I signed up for a half marathon. Yep, I was that person who had never really run yet I signed up for a half marathon and then started running. Totally backwards I know. I only had 5 months to do it in too! January 1st I also decided to set a mileage goal for the year. I thought 500 miles was a realistic goal. If I had not battled with my health so badly at the beginning of the year I would have already reached that goal, but the point is I will reach that goal before the end of the year. I also sign up for races to help motivate me and keep me on track. You can see all that I am currently registered for over there -----> So after you finish reading this, set a goal and start working towards it.


#3 Fuel your body
Your body needs fuel to work properly and it needs good fuel at that. Try to eat as little processed foods as you can. Always eat an hour or more before you run. A well balanced meal with protein will do wonders for your body. You are what you eat. You eat crappy food you will in turn feel crappy. Don't believe me, eat clean for a week and see how amazing you feel and how much better you perform! I also do not believe in carb loading before long runs. That is a personal preference and one that many runners agree with.
Hydrate! If you are not properly hydrated before your run you will encounter cramps, fatigue, sore muscles and much worse things can happen especially if you are dehydrated. Make sure you are drinking AT LEAST eight 8oz glasses a day. Thankfully this has never been a problem for me since I drink a ton of water and that is usually the only beverage I have throughout the day.

#4 Mind over matter
Running is totally mind over matter. Still to this day I have times where my mind it telling me "you can't do this" I look down to see I am not even a mile in. No mind, I CAN do this and I WILL do this!! Sometimes it is hard to shut your mind up and just run, but once you figure out how to do it, you can run forever! When I run I try to focus on any and every positive aspect that I can. Sometimes the positive is the beautiful weather, the animals along the path, the faster pace I am currently at, the fun things I am going to do when I finish my run, something one of my kids said, reliving a moment in my head, etc. I envision myself crossing that finish line of a race and the sense of accomplishment I will feel. This helps me a ton when I am having an off day and just want to quit. The more I think about that finish line the harder I run. Anytime I find myself going towards a negative I try to quickly get myself out of it before it totally ruins my run and trust me it does!

#5 Running takes time
You wont be able to get out there and run a mile right away, especially if you are truly new to running. I tried to run several times in the past, but gave up shortly after starting do to the frustration of not being able to run a mile straight. What I neglected to realize is that I may have not been able to run that mile, but each time I was getting a little closer. With all the running apps out there these days it is so easy to track your progress and see that you are getting better. That was what made me stick with it this last time around. I logged my runs each and every time. A run that was just a few seconds faster made me so happy. I currently use Runkeeper and love it! I set my goal for the year, I am currently using one of their training programs, and I have several friends that use the app as well so I am able to check in on them and cheer them along too.

I hope these little tips help you out. Now get out there and start running! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment